On Sun, Jun 26, 2022 at 1:42 AM Eric Gourgoulhon <egourgoul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le samedi 25 juin 2022 à 17:31:10 UTC+2, wst...@gmail.com a écrit :
>>
>> > There is some issue in the latex display of manifold maps:
>> > ParseError: KaTeX parse error: Undefined control sequence: \mbox at
>> > position 96: …thbb{E}^{2} \\ \̲m̲b̲o̲x̲{on}\ A : & \ph…
>>
>> Thanks -- I've created this issue in case you're curious about the situation:
>>
>> https://github.com/sagemathinc/cocalc/issues/6019
>>
>> In particular, I think it would be better if the latex representation
>> output by sage manifolds used "\text{on}" instead of "\mbox{on}";
>> however, I'll add a workaround in CoCalc so that isn't necessary.
>

> IIRC, I used \mbox instead of \text because \mbox is plain LaTeX, while \text
> requires the package amstext, so I naively thought that \mbox was more
> robust. The katex example shows that it is rather the converse. So yes, we
> may change \mbox to \text. Note that \mbox is quite heavily used in all Sage:
> running

I think what happened is that the problem \mbox tries to solve is
solved in a slightly better way by other commands like \text.   As a
result katex only implemented the better solution.   Your reasoning to
use \mbox instead \of text might be a reasonable argument for keeping
the current behavior in Sage, despite this annoying katex situation.
Regarding CoCalc, yesterday I added an alias so that now our katex
rendering works with \mbox (it just sets \mbox to \text), so these
sage manifolds notebooks all look fine now.

William

--
William (http://wstein.org)