On Monday, 25 July 2022 at 12:57:06 UTC-7 Matthias Koeppe wrote:

> On Monday, July 25, 2022 at 12:44:20 PM UTC-7 Nils Bruin wrote:
>
>> As long as fedora doesn't allow two different version of flint to be
>> installed at the same time
>>

> It does allow two different versions of the shared library package to be
> installed.
> Please see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/34207

OK, that at least helps a bit. But how do you query the package management
system to report those specific packages as "owner" of the so file, i.e.,
how do you find the packages that need to be pinned? I thought "dnf
whatprovides" would do that, but it reports the generic libflint package.
In fact, I've not been able to find the version-specific rpm's at all (if I
do "dnf search flint" these things do not show up). I was expecting that
flint would have one of those version-specific packages as a dependency and
that they simply changed the dependency to bump the version, but it looks
like that's not how they do it: as far as I can tell,
/usr/lib64/libflint.so.17 is really owned by flint-2.9.0-1.fc36.x86_64 and
nothing else.