As much as I agree with this sentiment and personally dislike the naming
"origin/upstream" as well, it is the most widespread naming convention in
the fork model. See e.g
https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/dev/gitwash/development_setup.html I think
its a good idea to stick to the established convention in the sagemath
documentation.

If you first cloned the main repo and then decide to fork, the common
approach is to rename the origin remote to upstream and introduce a new
origin pointing to the fork. The gh cli is doing this automatically, see
https://cli.github.com/manual/examples ("Forking repositories").