https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man8/tmpreaper.8.html
suggests "As long as there are files present inside a subdirectory, it
won't get removed. You can use a non-writable, self-owned file, perhaps
named ".tmpreaper", or, if you are su, a file that has the ext2fs
*immutable* attribute set, to keep a subdirectory from being deleted."
So perhaps we should just create such a file in TMP_DIR_FILENAME_BASE after
creating it.