On Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 11:08:15 AM UTC-8 Matthias Koeppe wrote:
On Tuesday, January 17, 2023 at 2:10:24 AM UTC-8 john.c...@gmail.com wrote:
I think it is fine to have many different labels for issues, as we have
many components.  But why was it thought necessary to have all the
component labels start with "component:"?  That seems redundant. It does
mean that all the components come almost first in the list of labels ("bug"
is at the top which is fine), with the dozen or so non-component labels
other than bug all at the bottom of the list.  If we could prefix all the
non-component labels instead with something very small which was allowed by
GitHub and which made them all come first, then we could remove the
"component:" prefix from the majority.

Controlling the sort order in the drop down list of the Issues UI was the
reason for using label prefixes. That's why we have "component: " as well
as "p1 –".... "p5 – " for the priority.

Tobias' initial proposal was to use the single letter "c: " as the prefix
for components. I thought it would be too cryptic, so I went with the whole
word "component: ". But I'd be happy to change it if "c: " (or some other
idea) seems preferable to others.

Regarding label prefixes, I just tried a minimalist version, using just ":
" as the prefix
in https://34.105.185.241/sagemath/sage-20230116172535/issues, but
unfortunately it does not work: The nonalphabetic prefix is ignored for
sorting.