On Friday, 3 February 2023 at 03:44:55 UTC-8 dim...@gmail.com wrote:

I think this happens if you use Google's interface to Groups, rather
than an email client.

Nope , google groups interface formats quoted text with a line to the left
(as above). No colour introduced either. Perhaps there are some settings
that change how quoted text is configured, but there's definitely a setting
(and I would think the default) that typesets it as in this message.