Hi Brett,
Yes, you do need to be part of the Triage team to add labels (this is a
function of how permissions on github work).  There's currently a PR on the
trac-to-github repository
<https://github.com/sagemath/trac-to-github/pull/187> aiming to add a bot
to our github workflow in an attempt to improve the situation.  If you have
ideas, you're welcome to contribute to the discussion there.

I looked for the PR you're referring to in the list of Sage PRs
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pulls> and wasn't sure what you were
referring to.  If you can send a link I (or someone else) can add the Needs
Review tag manually (if it hasn't yet been done).
David