On Sat, 25 Mar 2023, 18:57 Matthias Koeppe, <matthiaskoe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Saturday, March 25, 2023 at 9:29:32 AM UTC-7 William Stein wrote:
>
> It seems to me that these days there are three
> types of packages:
>

> ...at least...
>

> - definitely installed in every copy of sage. An example is pari.

pari can well come from the system - assuming it passes various ./configure
tests.

I would not call this "installed".

> - there's an attempt to install them when sage gets built, if
> conditions are right: an example is rpy2
> - they are definitely not installed when sage is initially built:
> example include various specialized databases.
>

> That's right.

you can force non-standard packages being built by passing the relevant
option to ./configure

e.g.

   ./configure --enable-fricas=yes

will result in an attempt to build fricas during the initial build (or the
subsequent build, whichever is applicable)