Ahem... There are two components to consider :

- the package by itself

- its interface to Sagemath.

Case in point : the Mathematica interface, which is standard (*i. e.*
installed in all cases), but active if and only if Mathematica (or the
Wolfram engine) is present in the target system.

This distinction has not been made in the case of R. I do not know if
`rpy2` can be installed in a system not having R.

A possible solution could mimin the mathematica interface, which raises an
exception when  called on an system without a mathematica engine installed
: it prints an inforrmative message
pointing to the possible solutions of the problem...

HTH,