On Saturday, April 29, 2023 at 1:45:31 PM UTC-7 TB wrote:

On 29/04/2023 23:10, Matthias Koeppe wrote:

In this PR (https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/35585), the three
optional packagesinfo, valgrind, rubiks are switched from our custom
installation scripts to a (binary) installation from conda-forge.

I have a naive question about the installation process. It is naive because
I have read only part of the thread and linked PRs:

Some of the packages in #35585 (e.g. pandoc) are rather popular, and
usually have support in a superset of Linux distros supported by Sage.
Should `sage -i pandoc`, at least in an interactive session, first
recommend to install it from the distro, and not default to conda?

Yes, that's exactly what this PR does. There are no changes to system
package detection!

Currently (without the PR), we do not have an install script for pandoc (it
is a "dummy" package). So when the system package is not installed but the
user insists to install it using Sage (for example by typing "make
pandoc"), that is an error.
With the PR, "make pandoc" will use conda-forge to install it.