On Saturday, April 29, 2023 at 1:45:31 PM UTC-7 TB wrote:

Should `sage -i pandoc`, at least in an interactive session, first
recommend to install it from the distro, and not default to conda?

I missed this detail about "sage -i" in my response above.

This is an interesting idea, but is orthogonal to how the Sage distribution
installs packages (whether using the Sage-specific install script or by
running conda).

I wouldn't want "./sage -i pandoc" to ask for confirmation, but we could
certainly have it print a note first and then users can ^C out of it if
they want to try that.
"make pandoc" should definitely do neither.
The third way of installing optional packages, using "./configure
--enable-pandoc",  already prints system package advice at the end of
configure.