On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 7:53:25 AM UTC-7 Tobias Diez wrote:

On Wednesday, 14 June 2023 at 05:03:21 UTC+8 Matthias Koeppe wrote:

More specifically, when users of a modularized distribution make their
first steps to contributing to it, that's already difficult; and we do not
want to have to tell them "if you want to make this contribution, you first
have to become a real SageMath user."

Judging from the current people interested in the modularization, it seems
more likely that a few senior sage devs will work on modularized
distribution.

By definition, the new users of modularized distributions aren't reading
this list yet.

But my question was more: what kind of issues/bugs do you try to prevent by
modularizing the tests as well?

I think I have answered this already; so I'm not sure if I understand the
question.

1. We test separately to make sure that it works when used separately.
2. Lots of the current tests fail when testing separately.
3. Some of these fail because they illustrate the interaction with far away
parts of Sage. These ones we mark # optional - sage....
4. Others fail because there is an unresolved obstacle to the
modularization. For these ones we fix the obstacle.
5. After fixing the obstacle, the presence of the test protects against the
obstacle creeping back in (modularization regression).