On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 8:01:29 AM UTC-7 Tobias Diez wrote:

On Wednesday, 14 June 2023 at 05:37:15 UTC+8 Matthias Koeppe wrote:

- Some # optional annotations reduce the barrier for contributors, by
clearly signaling to developers "it's OK and definitely not your fault if
you don't understand this doctest".

[...] As a (new) user, reading "# optional - sage.symbolic" makes me more
think "wtf. what is this? how do I install this sage.symbolic thing so that
I can run use this example?!" than "oh, yes, this test depends on another
part of sage, that I have not yet encountered, so I don't need to try to
understand this example".

This is a documentation / user education issue, which is addressed by
writing documentation and educating the educators first.