On 2023-06-29 14:46:00, Marc Culler wrote:
> During our recent release of SnapPy we ran across an issue which is likely
> relevant to whether Sage's documentation is viewable on newer Ubuntu
> systems (such as 22.04).  The issue is that these newer Ubuntu systems ship
> Firefox as a snap.  A snap runs in a sandbox which restricts which files
> the snap can read.  Specifically, the Firefox snap can only read files in
> the user's home directory.

> Have people run into this?

Alternate headline: multi-millionaire does stupid thing with
billionaire's product; how can math teachers fix it for free?

This is a combination of two problems,

  1. Mozilla has been going out of their way for a long time to make
     traditional firefox/thunderbird packages hard to maintain.

  2. Snaps are stupid (but low effort).

Despite a long-standing and fully independent hatred of Snaps, I can't
really blame Ubuntu for saying fuck it and taking the easy way out;
the firefox experience was going to be degraded in one way or another.

There aren't any great solutions because the only other mainstream
browser is managed by a spyware company and is also increasingly
difficult to package (for slightly different reasons). For second-tier
browsers, there's Falkon (Qt) and Epiphany (Gtk), which can still be
sanely packaged, but that are also missing features that most users
won't give up. Everything else is basically a Chrome theme these days
and inherits Chrome problems.

To summarize where I'm at personally,

  * Man/info pages are the standard and still work great
  * A fallback browser is nice to have around
  * There's always LaTeX/PDF
  * Not everything can be my problem

This is more of an answer to "have people run into this?" than an
actual answer, but there it is.