No guilt.  I feel no personal guilt over ancestors who owned slaves.  Just a
feeling it's worthwhile to contribute
something more substantial that a few bug reports -- I guess meaning can get
lost in ASCII.

Some of us relatively new people feel like we're lost in a non-English
megalopolis with no map -- to where
from here? Gee, I can slice, dice, and even julienne, but -- the project is
so &*$#@ huge, with various
included packages and imperfect documentation.  What needs done?  How to do
it?

If say, I think, "Gee someone might really like this functionality," or,
"This thing might work better if we
tightened this nut," or, "This documentation is unclear" ... I've read the
developer's sites, but still feel a
little lost.  I recently thought, oh, a means to easily compute the area of
a polygon would be nice, but
unsure of where to go from here.

I try to think like Billy Wilder, whose reputed philosophy was, "What movie
would** I like to see?" -- and was
usually right.  Tap a writing talent like Raymond Chandler & you make *Double
Indemnity*.

Not pontificating, but did a doctorate in math a few years ago, though my
thesis was pretty abstract -- would
like to do something a bit more solid.  Here or via private e-mail is OK.

Thanks for ideas.

Dean

---