On 2023-11-16 09:23:15, John Cremona wrote:

> If no-one has any reason to keep things as they are I will make a PR with
> the relevant changes to build/pkgs/eclib.

>From a packaging standpoint, fewer dependencies is better. For
example, upgrading flint would become a tiny bit easier if we didn't
have to worry about it breaking eclib. And on Gentoo we have a lot of
people who simply prefer to turn every optional feature off. So I
think it's a nice idea.

> Also, looking at eclib's spkg-configure.m4 I see (and recall) that we put
> in a check for an exact eclib version (currently 20230424), which seems
> unnecessarily restrictive.  I would welcome suggestions for how to either
> check for a certain version *or later*, and/or check that the library has
> certain functions which we know that Sage wil need.

The version restrictions are usually about the tests passing and not
about what works. For example if foo-1.0 prints "1 + 2" and foo-2.0
prints "2 + 1", that can cause the tests to fail until we update them
to accept both outputs. In the meantime we would probably reject
foo-2.0 even though it too gives correct answers. (This will get
better as fewer people rely on sage-the-distribution for exact
versions.)

Anyway, in this case, there are two autoconf tests that need to be
changed from equality to greater-than-or-equality:

  PKG_CHECK_MODULES([ECLIB], [eclib = SAGE_ECLIB_VER],...
  AX_COMPARE_VERSION([$mwrank_version], [eq], [SAGE_ECLIB_VER],..