On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 9:30 PM William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last time I benchmarked things, luatex was sometimes the slowest of
> the three major latex compilers, sometimes by a factor of 2.
> I realize benchmarking could be impacted by things like how exactly
> Lua was built on the target platform, as part of latex.  In any case,
> for
> this application, performance could matter.

Let me say few words on preference for lualatex. Once I heard about
Kwankyu's PR, I immediately suggested that should be luatex, not
xetex. After trying xetex he decided to switch it to luatex.

1) lua(lat)tex is the official TexLive's successor of pdf(la)tex. It
has proper unicode support,
one can use unicode maths, etc. luatex is packaged better within TeXLive too.

2) xelatex has been in maintenance mode for some year by now, and
it's unicode support is a bit funny. (in pdflatex it's next to nonexistent)

3) For building sagemath PDF docs it doesn't matter much, one doesn't
do it often, it's not instant.
Using unicode in docstrings makes them more readable and faster (less MathJax).

OTOH Sage's view() might need the speed, but you can change what
engine you use there
irrespective of what's used for building the docs.

Dima