On 19 December 2023 14:49:19 GMT, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 at 14:20, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 1:54 PM John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am finding it impossible to get simple PRs to get past the automatic
>> testing workflow system, which are repeatedly failing for reasons which
>> have noting to do with any code I have changed.
>> >
>> > Two current examples are
>> >
>> >  - https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36786 ( a simple bugfix which
>> I submitted 3 weeks ago and which could easily have made it into the last
>> release)
>> >  - https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36879 (an update to standard
>> dependency package eclib, requiring no code changes at all)
>> >
>> > It used to be such a simple matter to locate a bug, fix it and get the
>> fix merged.  Now it seems almost impossible (for me at least).
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> You have enough rights to ask people for reviews, right on the PR page.
>> You should also put up a "needs review" tag, there, on the right side
>> of the page.
>> Without "needs review" tag chances are that noone will look at it.
>>

>I would have assumed that no-one would look at a PR whose automatic tests
>were failing, since that *should* indicate that something is wrong with the
>PR.
>
>My complaint is that even with a PR based on the current develop branch,
>tests are failing which are not caused by the PR.

One way to fix this would be CI that only tests a relevant subset of things,
and it's not quite there yet.

So one has to look at results of CI to gauge the results. One reason for this
is that the workflow of the release manager is not quite aligned with the CI,
so our beta releases might well fail our CI !