On Wednesday, April 24, 2024 at 6:11:23 AM UTC-7 Marc Culler wrote:

 But it looked to me like those variables are being set in the sage-env
script *primarily* to support sage -i.  Perhaps you are right that it is
*primarily* to support compiling cython, but it doesn't look like it to
me.  In any case, on macOS the default values work fine.

There are three contexts in which setting these variables supports
compilation:
- Yes, "sage -i" is one of these contexts. (In addition to sage-env, this
context also sets other variables using build/bin/sage-build-env)
- "sage -pip install" is another context.
- And finally is runtime compilation (sage.misc.cython,
sage.interfaces.tides)

I do think that we can
- get rid of many of these variable settings in sage-env (such as LN,
MKDIR, ... which were probably only needed for platforms that we stopped
supporting long ago) and
- conditionalize others to the case [ -z "$CC" -a -n "$SAGE_LOCAL" -a -x
"$SAGE_LOCAL/bin/gcc" ] that is distinguished earlier in this script.

I'll open a PR for this.