On Thursday, April 25, 2024 at 2:17:31 AM UTC-5 Martin R wrote:

I agree that my terminology is not good.  I tried to make a distinction
between research involving math and the - to me unknown - rest.  I find it
hard to imagine that any mathematician would bother installing anything
else but all of sage.

As mentioned upthread, CyPari is one of the few examples of something
that's been modularized out of Sage.  While it's small compared to Sage, it
can still do everything Pari can, which is a lot.   Marc and I broke out
CyPari so we could use it in SnapPy (https://snappy.computop.org), whose
users are, at a guess, 90% mathematicians, 9% physicists,  1% other.   The
most recent version stand-alone (Sage-free) version of SnapPy has been
downloaded 1,200 times on Windows and macOS.  That's a lot of
mathematicians who are already installing only part of Sage.

Another example is large-scale pure math computation on clusters.  Because
of Sage's size and the nature of distributive file systems, the time to
startup Sage can be 30 seconds or more, which complicates things if you
want to do 100,000 calculations that are only 10 seconds each.  I was
recently at a workshop on computational topology, and several researchers
there regarded using Sage in this context as a non-starter, in one case
they were completely changing their approach to avoid using Sage.

Best,

Nathan