On Thursday, June 6, 2024 at 8:40:28 AM UTC-7 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

the incident with pytest 8 was very mild.

These days, describing something as "very mild" could just mean that it is
not regularly leading to fatal hardware damage.

The "incident" was that our use of pytest was completely broken. The
failure also caused the CI Build&Test to fail for months (see
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37999).
But yes, pytest is currently optional, and it is only required for testing
a very small set of modules in the Sage library.
So it is easy to ignore for developers, just like when other optional
packages break.

The proposal is to make it standard, though, and for that the robust
machinery of our normal/wheel packages is needed.