On 3/08/24 07:17, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
On Fri, 2024-08-02 at 07:09 -0700, Niranjana K M wrote:
At first I had flint-3.1.0 from Gentoo portage. Got same errors and build
failed. The I uninstalled flint and its dependents from Gentoo and let the
Sage choose its flint spkg. Again it also failed with same errors.

These errors,

local/include/flint/nmod_mpoly_factor.h:366:49: error: expected ')' before
'__extension__'

arise from flint's use of the variable name "I" in a few places. C99
technically forbids that IIRC. Our flint-3.1.3_p1 package (but no
earlier versions) contain a patch from Dima to fix the issue.

We were expecting people to hit this with gcc-14 which is still
unstable, but I guess some of the patches that have been backported to
your 13.3.1_p20240614 trigger it. I've filed a stabilization request
for flint-3.1.3_p1 to get ahead of the problem.

Yes, that weirded me out in https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues/789 But not everyone with a gcc-13.3.x compiler is affected, so there maybe something more subtle at play. Maybe a compiler use flag?