This would replace something annoying for senior developers by something
annoying for new contributors. I'm not sure if this is a good idea.

Did you have to manually resolve merge conflicts in your example? If not,
just don't push it back to the repository in such a situation in the
future. If so, I agree with Tobias that *needs review* is a correct status.