This message comes from the Code of Conduct Committee, in response to a
question
from Kwankyu
<https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/N1THlmVDm-w/m/mZY1aEOBCAAJ> (A2)
about blocking other Sage developers on Github.

While it is not possible to block others on a single issue or PR, it is
possible for one user to block another across all of Github
<https://docs.github.com/en/communities/maintaining-your-safety-on-github/blocking-a-user-from-your-personal-account>.

This has several effects, the most relevant of which for the project as a
whole is that the blocked user cannot “comment on or edit issues or pull
requests” created by the blocker (unless the blocked party is an owner or
maintainer on the repository). Over the past six months, this has happened
several times.

As we have said before
<https://groups.google.com/g/sage-devel/c/XDvKkMRoDk4/m/dLm8DH6ZAAAJ>, the
Code of Conduct Committee believes that there are situations where blocking
another developer is appropriate.  In the short term, both parties can
still contribute to a discussion by the blocked party opening a linked
issue to hold their comments, but this solution obscures their comments and
muddles the timeline.  We do not think that widespread use of this tool is
a productive way to actually resolve conflict.

We would like to solicit suggestions from the community for a new section
of the Sage Code of Conduct
<https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blob/develop/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md>
addressing blocking.  The following is a draft:

Blocking another SageMath developer on GitHub can be a valid response to
extreme misconduct, aimed at reducing interactions. However, unless the
misconduct results in the blocked person being excluded from the SageMath
project, such blocks should be temporary and last only until the conflict
is resolved. The SageMath Code of Conduct Committee should work with both
parties to lift the block. If the blocked person does not cooperate, the
committee may sanction them. If the blocker does not cooperate, the
committee may decide that proper discussion on their Pull Requests and
Issues is not feasible, and request that the release manager not merge any
of their Pull Requests until the block is lifted.

We know that this issue is sensitive for several Sage developers, so we
encourage everyone to follow the CoC and concentrate on discussing and
advocating for the policies you believe are appropriate.

The SageMath Code of Conduct Committee