On Friday 11 April 2008 05:39:03 pm Martin Albrecht wrote:
> PS: In any case, If anyone wants to work on an optional GIAC spkg, please
> speak up!

I tried to build GIAC and it didn't go so well.  The seemingly obvious way to
have it pick up sage pre-installed components (--prefix=...) allowed
configure to go through fine, but the compile did not.  I manually fixed this
in one directory, but another failed then.  I know that this is way to vague
to be a real bug report.

Another thing is that I think giac should be separated out from xcas so as to
not introduce an X dependency.  This too, I'm not sure that I did my own
research adequately.

Nevertheless, I say all that to say that I did (quickly) attempt to try out
giac and when I get another bit of time to return to these pursuits that is
near the top of the list of things to try.

But, I'm also interested in making the sage sparse multivariate a very fast
alternative for simple arithmetic since we can offer a breadth of choices for
base rings that appears unparalleled.  But, indeed, I'm simply enjoying
learning about mpoly factorization myself ... and one way (the best way?) to
learn it is to try and *do* it for oneself.

--
Joel