On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 02:40:14PM +0100, John Cremona wrote:
> Does anyone know how Magma handles this?

>From what I can tell, magma seems to choose 'default' finite fields of a
given size at run-time, and presumably also injections between them.

Which fields become default can depend on the order in which they are
created. For example,

K := FiniteField(3^100);
L := FiniteField(3^500);

gives a different field ('measured' by MinimalPolynomial(K.1) ) than

L := FiniteField(3^500);
K := FiniteField(3^100);

while "IsDefault(K);" returns true in both cases.

In the first case, MinimalPolynomial(K.1) is a sparse polynomial, in the
second case we have L.1^( (3^500-1) div (3^100-1) ) eq L!K.1 .
In the first case, L!K.1 can change between two magma runs, so the
chosen injection appears to be chosen randomly at run-time.

Note that this behaviour may of course be different for smaller or
larger finite fields.

-Willem Jan