On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:02 AM, Bill Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 1:57 AM, William Stein wrote:
>  >
>  >  Hi,
>  >
>  >  I'm giving a plenary talk at ISSAC in Linz, Austria this summer.  I'm
> supposed
>  >  to write a 2-page "abstract/paper" for the proceedings.  I just wrote
> something:
>  >
>  >    http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/was/tmp/abstract.pdf
>  >
>  >  I've been advised by some people on this list to focus on algorithms in
> Sage
>  >  and purely technical things, but I've totally ignored that advice and
> instead
>  >  written something very social in which I as honestly as possible lay out
> exactly
>  >  why Sage exists and try to describe somewhat just what Sage is.
>  >
>  >  I have to submit this in a couple days, but comments are welcome.
>  >

>  Hmmm, I have to give it a -1. :-(  I don't like it much. But it's your show.

Thanks for your honest feedbck.

>  I really don't think that you will find many people at this meeting
>  who are interested in open source alternatives to commercial software
>  as such.

I guess they will just be bored by my talk and fall asleep.

> Many of the attendees will have and may still be involved in
>  developing software for the commercial systems. Most are also involved
>  in some form of academic research in computer algebra systems. I don't
>  mean that people wont be interested in hearing about the advantages of
>  open source, but I believe that it would not normally be viewed as
>  their primary motivation or preoccupation. And I think they will
>  probably already have a fairly good idea about why Sage exists.

I actually imagine that a lot of them won't have a good idea
about why Sage exists.  The main reason Sage exists is because exactly
those people failed for a very long time to make the tools that I need
for my research in number theory, so I had to take matters into my
own hands.   I suspect they won't see things that way.

>  I think the advice you received from other people on this list to
>  "focus on algorithms and technical things" was probably pretty good
>  for the intended audience. It seems that usually there are three
>  speakers and they are all "technical" in a general sense. For example
>  at ISSAC 2006 http://issac2006.dima.unige.it there were three plenary
>  speakers:
>
>   Christopher Umans         Group-Theoretic Algorithms for Matrix
> Multiplication
>   Hennie Poulisse             Computational Communicative Algebra
>   Joachim von zur Gathen  Who was Who in polynomial factorization
>
>  and at ISSAC 2005 http://www.mmrc.iss.ac.cn/issac2005 these five:
>
>   Stephen M. Watt      A Framework for Pen-Based Mathematical Computing
>   Prof. Hai Jin             The ChinaGrid and its Impact on e-Science in China
>   Bruno Salvy              D-finiteness: Algorithms and Applications
>   Bruno Buchberger     A View on the Future of Symbolic Computation
>   Wen-Tsun Wu          On a Finite Kernel Theorem for Polynomial-Type
>  Optimization
>                                  Problems and Some of its Applications
>
>  (perhaps two here somewhat less technical)
>
>  and ISSAC 2004
> http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/about/conferences/issac2004/invitedtalks.html
>
>    1.  Numerical Algebraic Geometry and Symbolic Computation  by Jan
> Verschelde
>    2. Triangulations of Polytopes and Algebraic Geometry by Francisco Santos
>    3. Sum of Squares of Polynomials and Their Applications by Pablo Parrilo
>
>  ---------
>  Talking about what Sage "is", however does make sense to me.
>
>  If you are not inclined to speak specifically about how Sage is used
>  in your own or other people's research, then

I certainly will speak about how Sage is used in my research and others
during my talk.  The abstract I posted is limited to 2 pages, and hence
is a lot shorter than my talk.

Also Michael Abshoff will speak for about 10 minutes during my
talk about the organizational structure of the Sage development
process itself (patch review, etc.).

>  why not say something about how Sage actually achieves integration
>  between such a large number of systems? How do you make Maxima results
>  available to Gap and then compute something that you display a fancy
>  3d graphic etc. What is the importance of Python as the interpreter?
>  What about trade-offs for compiled code in Cython or interfaces to
>  external libraries? How important is the web-based notebook interface?
>
>  ... Just some different ideas. I know ideas are cheap, but you did ask. :-)

I did, and I appreciate your thoughts.  I do intend to touch on all the above
points in the talk itself.

 -- William

--
William Stein