I know there is no immediate (if ever) intension to support HP-UX, but
while I was trying to build Sage on my Sun, I decided to try it on a
rp2470 with two 750MHz 8700 PA-RISC CPUs (td192.testdrive.hp.com on
the HP testdrive program)

http://www.testdrive.hp.com/

Anyway, not surprisingly the build did not succeed, but I thought I'd
report the issues. It would be nice to a port to another operating
system, as HP-UX is unsuppored by both Matlab and Maple, although
Mathematica does support HP-UX. My guess is that it would not take too
much effort to add HP-UX support and there are likely to be benifits
to all systems, as a port is likely to uncover bugs that have not been
noticed on other operating systems.

Anyway these were the issues.

1) HP's tar does not take the -i option which ignores directory
checksum errors. I'm not sure if this is really needed in Sage (why
ignore errors)? But this was easily solved by building gnu tar,
putting it in $HOME/bin, and ensuring $HOME/bin was in the path before
the system directories, so the gnu tar was found.

2) Next issue was with readline. Sage says the readline built ok, but
the libraries were not present. It also tries to build something
called 'b' which the makefile does not know how to build.

I'm not going to bother posting the full output, as I know there are
no plans for HP-UX, but basically:

Make: Don't know how to make b.  Stop.
*** Error exit code 1 (ignored)
Readline's build claims to have finished, but files that should have
been built weren't.

Anyway, that is all I did. I'm far more keen to see a Solaris port,
but perhaps HP-UX might be worth a shot, as I doubt it would present
too much hassle.

Dave