Is there a general policy on whether compiler flags should give the
best performance on a particular machine, or should the binaries work
on any similar system? I can see advantages in each.

For people working on one system, they might as well get the best
performance from Sage and use compiler flags which get the
performance.

For an admin installing Sage on a university system where there will
be many different machines (some old, some new), he/she might want
compiler flags which work on any of those machines.

So what should one aim for? I can imagine there could be quite a hit
of performance if one built code to run on an old Intel 80386 using
the latest and greatest CPUs.

I was looking at compiling R on Solaris (and I have now succeeded with
both gcc and Sun Forte), but the compiler flags one uses depends on
the above decision.

Dave