On Jul 16, 12:24 am, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 4:14 PM, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > just to let you know: For some reason all the public Sage notebooks on
> > sage.math are down. Since William is off the grid and I have no
> > documentation how to properly restart the notebooks they will be down
> > until William shows up again. Me poking around can only potentially
> > damage the data and I have no intention of FUBARing the install, so I
> > will not attempt to fix it since all obvious attempts to reverse
> > engineer the install have failed.
>
> This error appears in the logs:
>
> bzip2: I/O or other error, bailing out.  Possible reason follows.
> bzipException exceptions.AttributeError: "Cell instance has no
> attribute '_Cell__worksheet'" in  ignored
> Exception exceptions.AttributeError: "Cell instance has no attribute
> '_Cell__worksheet'" in  ignored
>
> and this probably caused the trouble.   It should not
> be possible to create a cell without a __worksheet attribute,
> so I'm very puzzled by this; I'm guessing there may have
> been some weird exception involving permissions or
> something.

As is we have:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ df -h
sysfs                  32G   29G  1.3G  96% /sys

At the time the notebook went off the deep end there was a Aldor file
test.as and somebody had compiled it resulting in a huge test binary.
The timestamp of "test" matched exactly the access time of the
notebook directories, so I do not think this is a coincidence
considering the rather low amount of disk space. Taking into
consideration the fact that a non-root user can only access 95% of the
disk or so we likely hit an out of disk space situation. I am
currently looking into some places where I can "trim the fat" a little
for that install.

> I've restarted all three servers.   Unfortunately the main
> sagenb.org server had to be partly restored from a backup
> from July 5.  Note however that no actual worksheets
> were technically lost, since they are still on the file system;
> if you load a worksheet that was saved after that it
> should appear as you saved it.  The only problem will
> be worksheets that you created after that date; if you
> have one and need it let me know.
>
> Michael:  By the way, the public notebook servers are
> restarted as follows:
>
>   sudo sage-chroot-manage
>   su - server2
>   ./restart

Ok, that works for me. I saw the sudo in your bash history, but it did
not work for me as expected back then.

> If that doesn't work then the servers are seriously foobar'd,
> as the sagenb.org server was above (where the above wouldn't
> work).
>
>  -- william

Cheers,

Michael