I am currently working on a module for combinatorics and manipulation
of words in sage (which is much more powerful than what is already
there).  You can find our current code at
http://sage-words.googlecode.com/ if you are interested.

We started out using as little as possible from the Sage library and
then realized this was a bad idea and went the opposite direction.

In this process I have encountered a problem with the Element class.

I have a class which represents the set of words over an alphabet (but
is not a Monoïd since it also contains infinite words) and another
class which represents a word.  These classes have a natural
Parent/Element relationship and I tried to use these classes from Sage
as superclasses.

But I am encountering various problems due to the implicit assumption
that the Elements are always sort of numeric.  As an example
Element.__nonzero__() tries to call the parent with 0 to compare
against the 0 element.  But in my case it does not makes sense to
create a word from that.

So I am stuck.  We already have a working parent/element relationship,
but since it is not the Sage one it does not participate in coercions
and we can't use Sage morphisms.

Should I file a bug about this, override methods that make these
assumptions with sensible stuff for my case or add ugly hacks to allow
_parent(0).

Arnaud