On Jul 22, 10:38 am, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've posted a new version of my ISSAC talk to ...

hi, here are some ideas that come to my mind...

1. you talk about cython and python. that's ok, but you are only
talking about the "solution" to a problem without explaining the
problem. I think you should explain, that there is a need to have two
layers. A powerful high level approach (solution: python), to state
algorithms and combine classes of objects and a low level approach to
implement fast, easy to maintain code and library interfaces. The
whole project wouldn't work, if one of them is missing. (i.e. only C++
or only python). I think that's important to explain.

2. combinatorics, point 4. you mention open source packages like
networkX. maybe this is not widely known and you should either explain
it or just say, that you use a very good open source package for
"blah" - so, more focus on the functionality, not a name that probably
doesn't transport anything to the audience

3. i wouldn't show how to interface with mma. if someone asks, ok, but
not during the talk. at least you have a certain reason to. well, and
you can also bring the PartitionsP speed example  (as a proof of
concept for point 1. above)

4. maybe you have, but also tell the audience, that the documentation
of the code is very important. i.e. students can learn about the inner
workings just as "easily" as they can write programs in sage (same
language, ...). this strengthens the python language for general
scientific usage and is not specific to sage. there is no dedicated
technical barrier between users and developers.

5. future ... maybe also some general closing words about the
scientific ecosystem of mathematics: by sharing code and
implementations openly, the quality is higher and so on. this is
trivial, but you could say that sage wants to push into that
direction. (at least i think it wants to and this is point where sage
doesn't want to copy the big M*s ;)