>FriCAS / Axiom is supposed to be very good at linear differential
>equations and differential equations of the form y'=f(x, y) - the code
>is by Manuel Bronstein.  It seems to be rather weak for others, it
>cannot solve the equation above for example.  I must admit, however,
>that I do not know much about it.  Furthermore, it does not attempt to
>solve for the function, as the first example shows (sorry about the
>ASCII-art, do you prefer LaTeX on the list?)

The Axiom project has created a test suite based on the Kamke
(E. Kamke "Differential Equations, Methods of Solutions and
Solutions" Leipzig (1956)) which, I believe, is the same test
suite used by Maple.

Portions of the test suite, including answers where Axiom can produce them,
is available at
<http://axiom.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/axiom/trunk/axiom/src/input/kamke0.input.pamphlet>
(also kamke1, kamke2, kamke3, kamke4, kamke5, kamke6, and kamke7)

Maple clearly dominates this area and has, by far, the best
implementation of an ODE solver. Like all of the math projects,
they dominate because they have the best person for the job.

Tim