That seems very strange to me.  I keep several sage servers going all
the time, with students using some of them, and I've never had that
problem.  Sometimes when I have 10-15 students and they all open a lot
of worksheets it creeps up, but not what you are describing.  Usually
its about 20-50 Mb per worksheet.  This is on OS X, if you are on
linux perhaps   it reserves memory more aggresively?

I'm sure William or someone else can answer this more definitively.

Cheers,
M. Hampton