On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:39 PM, John Voight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to keep the Sage notebook open and running for my students on
> a server machine, but when I do it immediately hogs all 4GB of
> memory!  (Even after I kill the notebook and quit sage, according to
> "top" the memory is not released for some time.)

Can you post the output from top?

Does the evident hogging of all memory actually make it so everything
else swaps, etc.?

> Is there a way to limit the total memory that the notebook is allowed
> to use?

Did you try running ulimit first then the notebook?  Did the notebook
still run?  Type "man bash" and search for ulimit to learn how to use
ulimit.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics