For now I have resorted to simply manipulating strings for what I
want, which is simply to be able to do symbolic algebra with matrices
and vectors.  I may be interested in developing this functionality
myself for Sage.  What is the plan for symbolic algebra in sage?  Will
'var's eventually do everything?  Will Sympy functionality replace
var?

-David