I wonder if it might be useful to have a "recommended" flag for the
source.  I.e., if a version is released that turns out to have some
serious problems, mark the previous version as the recommended one,
until a version with no serious bugs is released.  This would avoid
the complexity of having stable/unstable branches but might make
releasing a somewhat lower-pressure affair.

-M. Hampton