Michael,

I can answer one of your challenges: The non-homogenized system
terminated correctly in about 139 minutes on my home computer, a
1.7GHz P4 w/512MB. I used a sugar variant, having modified Martin's
basic F5 sometime last week. No other changes were made to F5.

I realize this isn't worth a pizza, but I wasn't gunning for one
either. If you want, I'll try the homogenized system on the basic F5
at work.

regards
john perry