I went through 5 passes, and sage -testall kept locking up at various
places, so I rebuilt
Sage. I also tested to see if the tarball was coorupted but it seems
the download went okay.

After the rebuild, the same lockup occurs. This last time, it froze at
calculus.py.
When I ran sage -t --verbose devel/sage/sage/calculus/calculus.py
it froze at this line:

Trying:
    f(y=Integer(7))###line 4372:_sage_    >>> f(y=7)
Expecting:
    x^3 + x

This is on amd64 ubuntu 8.10.