On Nov 2, 2008, at 1:57 PM, Robert Dodier wrote:

> Apparently Maple also does not require variables to be declared
> (to judge by their quick start guide). Neither does Maxima/Macsyma
> nor MuPAD nor PARI/GP ftr.

For most work, Maple doesn't require you to define symbolic variables.
One does need to define local variables for a procedure, though. But
that isn't the same thing.

The having to define variables kind of put me off using Sage to start.
It wasn't particularly clear in the documentation.

My main problems now stem from missing symbolic manipulation commands
some of which are being addressed by pynac. So, I'm kind of holding
off until Sage 3.2 before really diving back in.

> Well, that would be an improvement. The need to declare variables
> is different from various other packages, not just Mathematica. Some
> explanation should go in the documentation for var itself as well.

Something should be stated in the NameError message as well.

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo