On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Tim Lahey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2008, at 2:01 AM, William Stein wrote:
>

>> Is there any code in matplotlib for actually drawing x and y axis?
>> I mean, since you're saying their code is way better than yours
>> for doing that, maybe you can confirm they actually have code
>> for doing that? :-)
>>

> Matplotlib is geared around MATLAB style plotting so
> the axes are around the outside of the plot. I've never
> found a way to have the ticks along axes in the middle of the plot.
> None of the gallery examples do that. However, pyx can do what you're
> looking for. Personally, I prefer the MATLAB style for most plots since
> it keeps the numbers from being in the way of the plot. For the other
> times, I use pyx. Plus, it has nice LaTeX support.
>
> So, one possibility is to have a small wrapper around the plotting
> with a choice of drivers, pyx vs. matplotlib and choosing to have
> numbering through the plot forces the pyx driver. Thoughts?

Sage can't depend on pyx, because pyx requires latex.  So that
doesn't seem to be an option.  Also, some of Sage's 2d plotting
already depends quite heavily on matplotlib, e.g., contour plots.

Possibly we could copy the code out of pyx for drawing axis
and tick marks, if it is good.  Otherwise, we can just improve
matplotlib so it can draw x,y-axis in addition to frames.  But
we can't just delete that code (axes.py) from Sage until there
is something to take its place.

William