When I say "simple" I mean really, really, REALLY simple.  So simple
it's intuitive for non-programmers.  I can program and I could always
run Python scripts or use command line interfaces myself, but I have
friends who want something even easier.  My friends are pretty smart,
they're just not programmers.  They're intimidated by this stuff.

I'm thinking I'll probably just continue my own back end (which I've
started rewriting in Python) but leverage some hand-picked advanced
functionalities like integration.  The advantage of this is that I can
make it secure and easy to use; the disadvantage is that it'll be more
work.  It absolutely has to be easy and secure, though.