Jeff Pickhardt wrote:

> I'm thinking I'll probably just continue my own back end (which I've
> started rewriting in Python) but leverage some hand-picked advanced
> functionalities like integration.  The advantage of this is that I can
> make it secure and easy to use; the disadvantage is that it'll be more
> work.  It absolutely has to be easy and secure, though.

It sounds like you don't need all the capabilities that are in Sage,
maybe just Maxima is enough. There have been various attempts
to create limited-functionality interfaces for Maxima; see:
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/relatedprojects.html
Even if you end up using Sage, you might get some ideas there.

Hope this helps

Robert Dodier