William Stein wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 2:04 PM, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> We currently have in excess of 150 accounts in the Sage trac, so
>> before I go off and do this I wanted to hear what people think.
>
> Damn!  There are a lot of Sage developers.   If 150 people have actually got
> accounts to do Sage development, there must be at least 150 people who
> have directly contributed to development.   There are also 690 subscribers
> to the sage-devel mailing list.   Amazing!
>
> Matlab employs "more than 2000 people" according to
>     http://www.mathworks.com/company/aboutus/
> so we have a lot of work in order to be similar in size.  Get your friends
> to become Sage developers.

Granted they probably have people in their purchasing department, which
would sort of be nonexistant on our side.

 From an interview in 2004 of Cleve Moler (one of the founders of
Matlab), on page 80 of here
http://history.siam.org/oralhistories/moler.htm:

"It’s always been true that about one-third of the
company works on product development, maybe a little over that, but
still true today"

Then on page 81:

"We have probably 350 developers and
there’s well over a hundred Ph.D’s. I’m not sure who has a Ph.D., it
doesn’t make much difference at MathWorks as to whether you have a Ph.D.
or not."

Jason