On Dec 1, 1:48 am, "William Stein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [Another response in this thread from David Kohel (who maybe should be
> posting on list)]

> Actually, I correct myself -- the average should be over the values
> of the function, weighted by the probabilities.  The domain of the
> function (the keys) can be in any set (e.g. "A","B","C"), so the
> current behavior is correct.

David, I have to say the current behavior seems anomalous at best.

>From what I can tell, since a probability space is just a normalized
measure space, the underlying set on which the measure is
defined need not be something for which linear combinations
like A P(A) + B P(B) + C P(C) + ... is defined.

If such linear combinations are not defined, then
DiscreteProbabilitySpace.expectation should throw
an exception.

Maybe the expectation function should be moved out
of the probability space base class (I don't know what
that is in Sage) and into some subclass which can
guarantee the operation succeeds. Just a thought.

FWIW

Robert Dodier