On Dec 4, 2:53 am, Pablo De Napoli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > We will likely upgrade to Python 2,6 first. It will be a while until
> > all the Python components we include work with Python 3.0 and I doubt
> > people around want to do all the work. There also has to be a clear
> > benefit of switching to Python 3.0 - we don't do it just because we
> > can :)
>
> Indeed, acoording to
>
> http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.6.html
>
> "The major theme of Python 2.6 is preparing the migration path to Python 3.0,
> a major redesign of the language. Whenever possible, Python 2.6 incorporates
> new features and syntax from 3.0 while remaining compatible with existing
> code by not removing older features or syntax. When it’s not possible to do
> that, Python 2.6 tries to do what it can, adding compatibility functions in a
> future_builtins module and a -3 switch to warn about usages that will become
> unsupported in 3.0."
>
> So I think it is a good idea to migrate to 2.6 first (and perhaps then, use
> that feature  of a "-3" swithch to get an idea of what code in Sage needs to
> be rewritten).

Yeah. The main interesting feature in 2.6 is the new pyprocessing
module which has been updated API wise ever so slightly from what we
are shipping. Since the pyprocessing code we have is broken on FreeBSD
7 I would like to have it fixed. But we don't have to do the jump to
2.6 directly since there is a back ported version of the code to
Python 2.4/2.5.

> Also I think it is important to wait in order that all the sage components
> support Python 3.0 first.

Yep. Note that currently in Fedora Rawhide the swtich to Python 2.6 is
happening, so we should be able to get upstream fixes for python code
from there for example. One good idea here would be to update all of
our python components in Sage to the latest stable upstream and then
try our luck with Python 2.6. I intend to do that once Scipy 0.7 and
numpy 1.3 are out.

> Pablo

Cheers,

Michael