I just finished upgrading the matplotlib spkg to the newest version.
See http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/4774

This version of matplotlib deprecates some of the constructs found in
Sage's matplotlibrc (which is located in $SAGE_ROOT and automatically
copied to $DOT_SAGE if needed every time sage starts up).  The result is
a bunch of deprecation warnings every time Sage starts up (when
matplotlib loads Sage's matplotlibrc file).  In trying to figure out
what to do about this with several other developers, one option that
came up was just throwing away/ignoring the special Sage matplotlibrc
and using the normal, standard defaults for matplotlibrc (including the
standard location for a customized matplotlibrc).

In investigating things more deeply, there were only a few real changes
we made to the default behavior of matplotlib.  IIRC, a few font choices
were reordered, legends were changed to display a bit more of the
function, and the dpi of saved images was bumped up from 80 dpi to 100
dpi (but this should be set when Sage saves an image anyway, so I don't
know that this changes anything).

So here's a proposal: Should Sage stop distributing a custom
matplotlibrc, and ignore matplotlibrc files that already exist in the
$DOT_SAGE directories?

Note that if people really want to customize the matplotlib settings,
they can always use the standard location for matplotlibrc (i.e.,
~/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc, I think).  This will clean code out of the
bin repository and reduce startup time for sage as well.  Patches which
do this are posted to #4774.

I vote yes, provided some sort of note is made in the release notes
about the ignored matplotlibrc file.

Thanks,

Jason