William Stein wrote:

>> I'm just going to make a call on this, so that the new matplotlib gets into
>> Sage ASAP.    Jason's original proposal is:
>>
>> "So here's a proposal: Should Sage stop distributing a custom
>> matplotlibrc, and ignore matplotlibrc files that already exist in the
>> $DOT_SAGE directories?"
>>
>> After the above discussion, and responses to my concerns about this, I
>> say we do exactly what Jason originally proposed.
>
> Just to be clear, since Jason wasn't.  We should stop distributing a
> custom matplotlibrc, and ignore the $DOT_SAGE/matplotlibrc that we
> ship, by not setting that environment variable when Sage starts up.
> To implement this is as simple as deleting this code from
> SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/sage-sage and anything in there that called it:
>
> matplotlib_setup() {
>     MATPLOTLIBRC="$DOT_SAGE/" && export MATPLOTLIBRC
>     if [ ! -f "$MATPLOTLIBRC/matplotlibrc" ]; then
>         mkdir -p "$DOT_SAGE"
>         cp "$SAGE_ROOT/matplotlibrc" "$DOT_SAGE/"
>     fi
> }
>
> If users want to have custom matplotlibrc's they can always set
> MATPLOTLIBRC however they want.

The patch up on #4774 along with the spkg does exactly this, IIRC (the
patch also takes care of a few other places in the bin directory that
need to change to implement this).  So with this decision, I think that
#4774 is ready to be reviewed.

The new spkg up on #4774 deletes the custom arrow-drawing code that I
put in a few months ago since much better functionality has now been
written in Matplotlib.  There is a patch on #4774 that also modifies the
arrow drawing in Sage to use the new arrow-drawing code included in
Matplotlib.

We should provide instructions somewhere on how to set a MATPLOTLIBRC
variable just for Sage.  Maybe it would be enough to add something to a
person's init.sage?

Thanks,

Jason

P.S. wait, I see that rlm posted a comment about a problem with deleting
the matplotlibrc files, so apparently the ticket is ready to be fixed
maybe?  Or at least the problem should be verified.  It looks like it
might be one of those dreaded OSX libpng issues.  Michael Abshoff: care
to comment?