On Feb 5, 1:29 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:08 AM, ahmet alper parker <aapar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> > According to a previous conversation about Java and Python, a comment was
> > the results of the calculations written in the same language (although they
> > are written in a standard language) may be different from platform to
> > platform.

Yes if you are using hardware floating-point arithmetic and the
machines are set up to allow differences in the hardware to show
through at the language level.   Why would you allow such differences
to show?  Typically because some hardware is both more accurate and
faster than some others.

>  I want to ask that, is it possible to calculate the error in our
> > calculations with Sage

Unless you define what you mean by "the error", this question cannot
be answered.
You can get started on elaborating on this question by reading almost
any book on
numerical analysis.

>(or else like maxima, matlab etc. if you know)? Also,
> > is there big number (multiple precision arithmetic) support on Sage?

Yes.

> > All the answers and comments are welcome.

> Sage has incredibly good support for multiprecision arithmetic.    We
> have fast arbitrary precision integers, rationals, reals, intervals,
> complexes, etc., and fast linear algebra in some of these cases too.

It is perhaps worth pointing out that support for "reals" is different
from multiprecision
support for approximate floating-point numbers.  Sage does the latter.

Why make the distinction?
Note that any polynomial of any degree in any number of variables can
be
encoded in a single real number. Let x1=e,  x2=e^e, x3=e^(e^e)  etc.
Now you can add, multiply etc  such polynomials in the time it takes
to multiply 2 real numbers.
So computational support of real numbers is problematical.

RJF