build did fail, too, so I spared myself the need to find a brown paper
bag to put over my head for that one by not announcing it :)

So far in rc2 we have the following known problems:

#5301: In sage-3.3.rc2, doing sage -t -long "devel/sage/sage/plot/
plot.py" causing a matplotlib GUI window to popup
#5302: Numerical noise in graph.py get_pos() and graph_plot.py
#5303: Sage 3.3.rc2: numerical noise in sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/
sha_tate.py

I have also fixed the documentation build issues and that took me two
hours in the end due to an entertaining issue with a missing r""" that
turned a \begin into ^Hegin - I had never seen that one before.

For 3.3.rc3 we have the following issues left over:

 * Better OSX app bundle - might not be done per default due to lack
of refinement, but will be available via env variable + bdist
 * ATLAS SSE2 only will be in rc3
 * FC 9/10 warning flag will be in rc3
 * ATLAS tolerance build issue might make it in some primitive version

All the usual bits are in

   http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.3/

Now we are on the final stretch to push 3.3.final out and hopefully
3.3.rc3 will be good enough to avoid another round of builds.
Consequently we will be very, very conservative about merges and so
far I have only looked at 4 ticket besides the issues above that I
will likely merge. Anybody else will have better luck in 3.4.1 ;)

I would like to point out that we reverted #4440 since it caused the
odd issue with tab completion in the notebook and it seemed unclear if
there would be a better fix in time for 3.3.

Please build, doctest and report issues. Please also make sure to take
a look at the list of known issues.

Cheers,

Michael

Merged in Sage 3.3.rc2:

#5106: Robert Bradshaw: preparse bug with time and generator
assignment naming [Reviewed by Marshall Hampton]
#5171: Robert Miller: Overhaul the Graph and DiGraph initialization
functions [Reviewed by William Stein]
#5227: Minh Van Nguyen: add next batch of 14 people to devmap
[Reviewed by Harald Schilly, Michael Abshoff]
#5285: Mike Zabrocki, Jason Bandlow: Dyck Paths documentation problem
[Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5289: Michael Abshoff: gdmodule fails to build on Linux/Solaris
systems without a system wide libpng [Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5290: Michael Abshoff: Sage 3.3.rc1: Sage fails to start due to
dangling missed import in plot.py [Reviewed by Jason Grout, Emily
Kirkman]
#5291: Timothy Clemans: notebook - Do not save snapshots if nothing
has changed [Reviewed by William Stein]
#5292: Robert Bradshaw: Error in FractionField conversion [Reviewed by
William Stein, Mike Hansen]
#5293: Jason Grout, Marshall Hampton: tab-completion menu creates two
copies of the choice made [Reviewed by Marshall Hampton, Jason Grout]
#5297: John Palmieri: sparse vectors and free module elements:
pairwise_product is broken [Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5298: Mike Hansen: hg_sage.apply($URL) broken due to swith to trac
0.11.3 [Reviewed by William Stein]

Merged in Sage 3.3.rc1:

#1777: Jason Grout: jmol up/down metaphor confusing in the "View"
right-click menu [Reviewed by Timothy Clemans]
#2522: William Stein: modify "sage -pkg" to not include OSX junk in
spkgs [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]
#2873: Jason Grout: Customize JMOL menu [Reviewed by Timothy Clemans]
#3106: Jason Grout: Add an "image" link for a screenshot of the JMOL
applet in the notebook [Reviewed by Timothy Clemans]
#3337: David Joyner, Michael Abshoff: Upgrade gap-guava to new
4.4.12/3.9 release [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff, Carl Witty, William
Stein]
#3541: Emily Kirkman: graph multiedge plotting [Reviewed by Robert
Miller]
#4274: William Stein: assertion failure in rank for elliptic curves
[Reviewed by John Cremona, Michael Abshoff]
#4354: Arnaud Bergeron: loading a file with spaces in the filename
doesn't work [Reviewed by Georg Weber]
#4371: Nicolas Thiery: Add support for lazy attributes via a decorator
[Reviewed by Robert Miller]
#4752: Josh Kantor: list_plot3d crashes sage with some exact input
[Reviewed by William Stein, John Palmieri, Michael Abshoff]
#4774: Jason Grout, Michael Abshoff: Upgrade matplotlib to 0.98.5.3-
svn6910 [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff, Jason GRout]
#5213: Nick Alexander, Alex Ghitza: make charpoly/minpoly of number
field elements use matrix() [Reviewed by Alex Ghitza, Michael Abshoff]
#5217: Michael Abshoff: update libpng to 1.2.34 [Reviewed by Marshall
Hampton]
#5228: Nick Alexander: make composite_fields and galois_closure return
maps and preserve embeddings [Reviewed by Alex Ghitza]
#5239: Michael Abshoff: Sage 3.3.rc0: even more numerical noise in
sage/sage/plot/plot.py [Reviewed by Jason Grout]
#5242: Florent Hivert: generic_power can now handle semi-groups
[Reviewed by John Cremona, Martin Albrecht]
#5244: Florent Hivert: is_unit for symbolic ring [Reviewed by Martin
Albrecht]
#5252: John Cremona: elliptic curves: P.height() lies about its
precision [Reviewed by Alex Ghitza]
#5253: Jason Grout: Make a jacobian function which computes the
jacobian matrix [Reviewed by Carl Witty]
#5255: Florent Hivert: Deprecating the use of iterator in
CombinatorialClass [Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5256: Florent Hivert: coherent handling of trivial matrices [Reviewed
by Martin Albrecht, Mike Hansen]
#5258: Jason Grout: escape html strings with cgi.escape instead of
custom (and lacking) regexp [Reviewed by William Stein]
#5259: Jason Grout: invalid array elements sent to matplotlib quiver,
causing blank plot [Reviewed by Florent Hivert]
#5265: Michael Abshoff: Link the matrix_mod2_dense extension against
png12 [Reviewed by Jason Grout]
#5266: Jason Grout: plot_vector_field does not plot the end of the
range when given plot_points argument [Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5267: Alex Ghitza: bug in changing a constant multivariate polynomial
into a univariate one [Reviewed by Martin Albrecht]
#5269: Alex Ghitza: coordinate ring of an affine patch on a
hyperelliptic curve is broken [Reviewed by Martin Albrecht]
#5271: Michael Abshoff: clean up jmol-11.6.16.spkg from #2873
[Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5272: Carl Witty: extend sage_input to work with RIF, CIF, AA, and
QQbar [Reviewed by Marshall Hampton]
#5273: John Palmieri: change error message for integer matrices which
are too large [Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5277: Michael Abshoff: tachyon.spkg: link against libpng12 instead of
libpng [Reviewed by Marshall Hampton]
#5282: William Stein: In %python mode in the notebook, tracebacks are
not properly reported [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]